Christmas really does get all the good music. Josh Groban’s “Thankful” is probably the only modern tribute to the November holiday. The great old hymn “We Gather Together” fits the bill, as does “No Place Like Home for the Holidays” to some extent… but really? Three songs?
When I decide to quit this politics thing, maybe I will make it my mission in life to fill in the Thanksgiving songbook a little more.
The last several months have been long, many of them arduous. Basically, it’s felt non-stop since the first healthcare bill was released (June, I think it was?). I’ve been blessed with a few nice breathers – most notably, a week in Ireland – but the marathon has (and will) continue. The rest of being home, the familiarity, cooking with Mom, music with Dad, playing with the dog instead of brooding over my blackberry… yes, please.
There is so much I have to be thankful for today, but two amazing realities top the list: first and foremost, a loving and forgiving God whose persevering, selfless love puts to shame any concept I had of the notion in human terms. This year, I have seen my Abba in action as a patient Teacher who has revealed more and more of Himself to very undeserving me. I can see Him making Himself greater, and though I often resist the tearing away at myself that results, I am beginning to understand and pursue – not just provide intellectual assent to – that great exchange.
I am also immensely grateful for my family, my rock-this-side-of-eternity. I get to look forward to seeing them when so many of my peers dread family time. I am so grateful that I can honestly and wholeheartedly proclaim there is no place I would rather be than with them. How wonderful is it that God brings Himself glory in the wondrous simplicity of familial love? What a blessing when you delight in the same things He delights in!
And for you, my dear readers, I wish you and yours a marvelous, laughter-filled, memory-making sort of Thanksgiving. I am enriched by your encouragement and thankful for your friendship. May we all give God the glory for the abundance in our lives today, Thursday, and forevermore.
1 comment:
I am TOTALLY with you on this! I still think that Josh Groban should record an entire Thanksgiving album; that would be awesome.
Post a Comment