Monday, August 24, 2009

In one week…

Deo volente, I will be in Ireland. I am so excited, I’m pretty sure I could crawl out of my skin.
Today, I selected my seats (window all the way!), notified my banks that I will be abroad (to avoid any lack of access to cash), and reviewed some of the all-important lists related to packing and shopping (the Target run will take place today after work). Since this is my first trans-Atlantic flight, I am definitely experiencing some jitters – but after today, I am determined to chill out. (And yes, my friends, you have the authority to enforce that rule until my departure…)
Since I’m getting in the spirit of the Emerald Isle – and I am not, unfortunately, as fluent in my Gaelic as I was hoping to be for this trip – I thought I would pass long some very important Irish vocabulary, courtesy of travel guru Rick Steves, for your edification and mine.
Important note: Fear not, I will not use táim súgach or any variation thereof during my travels…

Irish Pub Vocabulary

Trad: traditional Irish music

Céilí (KAY-lee): Irish dance gathering

Craic (crack): fun, a good laugh.

Bodhrán (BO-run): traditional drum

Uilleann (ILL-in): elbow bagpipes

Poitín (po-CHEEN): moonshine, homemade liquor

Táim súgach! (thaw im SOO-gakh): I'm tipsy!

Slainte (SLAWN-chuh): Cheers! To your health!

Go raibh maith agat (guh rov mah UG-ut): Thank you

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I cannot imagine - you are so brave!