Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Couch Rights, and the essay that followed

There’s an unspoken rule in the townhouse that whoever gets home first that day has couch rights. Granted, these rights can be relinquished or shared easily enough, but I have found that whoever gets home first tends to be sprawled out on this delightfully comfortable red-and-white checkered lounger by the time I get in. That is to say, I am rarely the one with couch rights. Today happens to be the exception, as Allis is at her sales meetings till who knows when and Sarah, well, still at work at 8:06. (To yell at her on her blog for being such a workaholic, click here).

So here I am, alone with my thoughts and WGMS (Washington’s Classical station with their wonderful commercial-free “Dinner at 8” feature). I would try to sleep but it’s a little early for even me to try that. I guess it’s as good a time as any to get out some thoughts about something that’s been weighing on my heart and mind, and while I’ve done a fairly good job at burying myself in work and other busyness to avoid it, I need to start thinking it though; and for me, thinking means writing, so here it goes.

The recent events of __C have alarmed many but surprised few. From what little I have witnessed firsthand on the matter, the recent break appears to be the product of fault lines long laid but seldom acted upon. These schools could be described in many different ways, and to say it is only ideological seems to oversimplify the matter. No doubt, it is ideological. But there are other considerations. First, the two groups in question largely represent two different functions: administrative and academic. The administrators deal with practical matters, including the necessity to gain more capital. To earn this, they must present __C as the very best it can be; they have to be the dreamers and the visionaries, because, let’s face it, that’s what sells. In a cruel irony, those who must be most practical must, prima facia, be the most idealistic.

On the other hand, academics are freed of fundraising responsibilities, and as such, they have the latitude to say what they really think and believe. That is not to say that the former group is necessarily disingenuous; I know they believe what they are saying. However, they often don’t describe the whole of the matter. Academics can, and the good ones do. And this is where the rift began (from what I understand). When certain professors made the argument that truth exists outside of Scripture, the administrators called it heresy.

This is where I get lost. __C’s statement of faith as well as the statement of Biblical worldview are fairly simply where the Bible is concerned: “the Bible in its entirety… is the inspired word of God, inerrant in its original autographs, and the only infallible and sufficient authority for faith and Christian living.”

Okay. Got that. There’s nothing else in these documents regarding the Bible being the only source of truth. And, when you consider the very fair-sounding Statement of Doctrinal Neutrality, you’d think this matter would be dinner table discussion instead of a college split:

“The College itself is neutral on the doctrinal distinctives which go beyond the points covered in our Statement of Faith and are outside the mission of the College. We want all students and faculty from this wide community to feel welcomed and encouraged. We particularly want parents to have the assurance that __C will not seek to undermine the traditions of their family's faith.”

Now, setting aside for a moment the multitude of problems this author has with the last sentence of the statement, let’s go to the second sentence: “We want all students and faculty from this wide community to feel welcomed and encouraged.”

… okay. So why is this issue any different? Never, to my awareness, has a __C professor failed to teach Biblical truth. Never has it been said that the Bible is NOT true. A discussion is simply being proposed regarding general versus special revelation. This was unquestioned during my tenure at __C, and it is painful to think that those who follow after me may never have that same exposure to this important dialogue. If we can’t talk about this, what exactly is debatable?

It is as G.K. Chesterton once observed, “it is not that Christianity has been tried and found wanting. Christianity has been found too difficult and left untried.” Why should we refuse to let our own faith be tried in what is the probably second-most-safe atmosphere on earth (second to our homes)? Do we think it will be easier once we go out into the world? Please tell me this dangerous academic innocence has not been the aim of __C this whole time! Christianity has nothing to fear from other worldviews; that was probably one of the most important things I learned from the professors at __C.

No, there is something deeper here, something that has forced this to come to a head. The time has come for either the administrative or academic worldview to permeate the whole of the thing, namely, the rules of __C. The two schools have been fighting for some time, but it has been mostly sparring until now. But the time has come for the institution to decide whether they will be ruled by external rules or individual morality, by suspicion or trust, by fear or hope. The “two roads have diverged in a yellow wood.” And at this juncture, the Christian libertarians and those who prefer a codified “Thou shalt (not)” Christianity start having little in common in any practical sense, the sort of cooperation you need to run a college.

In discussing this with a friend recently (and I pray she will pardon me for borrowing her excellent point), she stated that __C's motto comes as a single package: Pro Christo et Libertate. It’s not one first and the other second, necessary; it is both, equally. And what allows me to say that is the fact that Christ defines liberty, and is the only way to freedom in this life and the next, and He is not only the Way, but is Himself the liberty we seek. (Think Till We Have Faces here.) This is of course presuming a correct understanding of liberty, but how else will it be understood unless it is carefully considered and lived out?

My pastor has given an excellent analogy in reference to the church, but my mind couldn’t help drawing the parallel to __C. He said that you can build the perfect tall ship, majestic mast and full sails and streamlined body, but if there is no wind, no movement of the Spirit, no room for a big God, it is pointless. “No institution,” he said, “can in and of itself fulfill the will of God.” People, individuals still make decisions before God, and those choices matter. Institutions are not moral creatures; they may foster certain decision making, but they are not sausage grinders. And the more you try to make an institution into such an implement, the more liberty is lost; the more liberty is lost, the less people see the need for it; and the less you see the need for liberty, the less you will seek it for others.

I suppose it goes back to the last line of the doctrinal neutrality agreement cited above. “We particularly want parents to have the assurance that __C will not seek to undermine the traditions of their family's faith.” What exactly is meant by undermine here is important, for in practice, “undermine” has come to mean “question.” And if tradition, as we usually utilize the word in Protestantism, is a practice handed down but not necessary Scriptural (in the truest sense of the word), why are those what we seek to shelter the most from scrutiny? What if a tradition is wrong? Would we rather a tradition persist for its own sake than ask the simple question of, “it is true?”

After all, what is the object… comfort, or truth?

15 comments:

Ashley said...

I like the Chesterton quote . . . how often am I tempted to leave my questions unasked because I'm afraid the answer will be too difficult?

It also reminds me of our Ginny Owens song - "You can't find the answers 'till you learn to question." If what we believe is true (any of it) why should we be afraid of challenges? If any part of it is false, oughten't we to search for truth?

The Wileyman said...

Leeann, that's one of the best takes on the situation that I've come across.

A Scottish Whisper said...

Refreshingly objective look at the matter in hand from one who is obviously wishing for the best. Even though I was only present for a fraction of the time you spent at __C, I had some of these same concerns regarding the future outcome of the institution. You're focus and setting the questions boldly forth is admirable.

Anonymous said...

I sincerely doubt that the split really occurred over a general v. special revelation debate. There was a lot more going on here, mark my words.

Campeador said...

As has been said, nice analysis of the situation. I may just have to link to your post - my statement of the issue was shorter and less analytical.

Much of this seems to come down to paranoia (within admin). The "liberal slippery slope" of history should not stop us from being to able to think about issues.

sarah said...

Excellent post - and I'm sure that the libertarian vs. conservative issue is part of it - but there's no way it can be all of it. Because where does Dr. Noe come in? And then why haven't Drs. Mitchell, etc. resigned as well? Gabi and I have discussed a lot of the same things you lay out eloquently here, but the final conclusion for us was still this: We don't know anything.

In my own personal observations, the whole campus, faculty etc., have been split for a while about what our goal as an institution is. What is education in general for? Is it about being and becoming the best human beings God intended us to be, or is it about doing? These two things are often at cross purposes. Our professors primarily want us to be and become. Dr. Farris wants us to do. And then the students also don't understand each other. A journalism major might say, "Why do I have to take philosophy? What is it good for? I can't use it!" And the lit majors respond, "What's wrong with them? They're all too busy debating to think about God's overarching plan for humanity and where our place is!"

It really is no surprise that PHC is struggling over this, because almost every other center of education in America has given itself over entirely to the "doing" side of things. We, in trying to compete with them, are straining in two directions at once. We don't have the confidence to step out into both the past and the future to reclaim true education. To be both old and new, in the manner of orthodoxy (see Chesterton). :D

I think this is the cause of student fighting and lack of unity. We all think we're working "for Christ and for liberty," but somehow we're not moving in the same direction. It's inexplicable.

I need to write this up as an essay for publication next semester. :D

The Wileyman said...

Good points, Sarah... good foundation for education is one of the things PHC desperately needs (something I would have never thought about if not for my wife).

I think another part of the problem is that, especially at PHC, people tend to get caught up in the big picture. We forget that our relationships with the people around us are really much more important than changing the world (which we certainly can strive for). God calls us first and foremost to love Him and to love our neighbors - but we get so caught up in the mission of the college and ideals and ultimate goals and pride and outrage that we neglect the very foundation of our faith. That exacerbates the many problems at PHC (particularly situations like the current one) and puts us in a very dangerous place indeed.

Asparagus said...

I think you're right, Sarah, and I agree with Thomas; at PHC, we tended to lose sight of what God actually commands us to do--love our neighbors, live quietly, etc. It's rather humbling that a lot of non-Christians I know here seem more actively concerned with helping people than the "Christians" at PHC.

The "ends justifies the means" mentality always bothered me, especially when it entailed some logical gymnastics. I.e. libertarian --> gay rights supporter --> child molester.

Asparagus said...

Although, you know, on second thought I think the actual split was over freedom v. restriction. Several faculty members who have not yet been caught up in this, or who have fallen on the other side, were also concerned about the gun-ho propensities.

sarah said...

Ya, remembering a conversation I had with Dr. Culberson after an Honor Code article I wrote last fall, I'm sure that's at least part of it as well. In fact, that is more likely to be the surface reason. I think my comment was more about underlying conflict that has existed without anyone really understanding it.

My Fathers' Daughter said...

Good points...intriguing. As one still caught in the middle of it, I'm finding prespective a difficult thing to find/maintain (more so than usual, which is saying something)

PHC is an institution made up of individuals. It's hard enough for us as individuals to keep our focus on Christ; how much harder is it for us to keep the focus of an institution on Him? The current split runs much deeper than the apparent division in ideology (articles), but we have no real information beyond that. *sigh* Prayer is the only thing that I can recommend with 100% surety

Asparagus said...

I think certain people at TFC had the misconception that a school could ultimately be guided by one man's vision. Any long-standing, respected institution has a system of checks and balances, just like a government. In that sense, bureaucracy can be a moderating influence. I think the professors expected this standard, republican form of leadership while the other side believed in the charisma of one man...which, personally, I find repulsive, but, having had a liberal education, I tolerate ;-)

Anonymous said...

NEW POST! NEW POST! NEW POST!

Anonymous said...

NEW POST! NEW POST! NEW POST!

Anonymous said...

There's an oft-quoted maxim that "All truth is God’s truth." Some evangelical Christian colleges build their educational philosophies on that idea. To quote one, "___ University recognizes that, as a Christian college, it must make itself not a refuge from the contemporary world but an arena for encounter with that world and creative response to it... The University recognizes that it is unsuccessful to the extent that students learn information but are not challenged to rethink their values; students become familiar with a major field of study but are not ready to do independent and critical thinking in those fields; students learn about current problems, issues and controversies but feel no need to make personal responses to them; students maintain Christian beliefs and practices but insulate their Christian faith from other aspects of their experience and do not think through, broaden, and deepen their faith..."